Declare a Housing State of Emergency in London
The following is from the London Regional Social Forum:
The London Regional Social Forum requests the City of London declare a state of emergency related to housing.
- The average rent increased by 36.9 % in the last year
- There is a 1 % vacancy rate.
- 6236 families and individuals are on a waitlist for social housing
- Over 2000 people are experiencing homelessness in London
- London Cares reports a 68 % increase in their interactions with the homeless in the last year
- Frontline workers are burnt out and on the brink of collapse
- 57 people have died on the streets in the last year
Declaring a state of emergency can allow the city to access resources from the provincial and federal governments that can help avoid more deaths and suffering in the City of London.